la mode

How to Create the Perfect Cat Eye

Nothing walks the line between elegance and sass like a perfectly applied cat eye!

While it may take some trial and error to master, having the right products and tools makes all the difference when it comes to creating a sharp, sleek line from the inner corner of the eye all the way to the flick. I draw on a cat eye as my everyday makeup look, so trust me when I say that I’ve run into all kinds of problems and frustrations!

For those who have been wanting to learn how to create the perfect cat eye, here’s my step-by-step guide complete with the products I used in my photos!

cat eye post 1

First, I make sure to draw in my brows fully before starting on my eye shadow routine. I’ve tried a bunch of different brow pencils but I love using MAC Brow Pencil in Spiked because it’s the perfect dark brown to go with my hair and it allows me to lightly brush on natural looking brows – especially at the ends where they refuse to grow!

cat eye post 2

Second, I grab my three favorite eye shadows – Arbonne’s single shadows in VanillaSuede, and Chocolate. Using a flat brush, I pat Vanilla just below the brow, Suede on the lid, and brush Chocolate into the crease. Sometimes I even like to contour my nose by brushing the remaining Chocolate shadow down the sides of my nose! As a special offer, my friend and favorite Arbonne consultant, Natalie Hoven, is offering 20% off your first order of Arbonne products when you e-mail her at natalie.hoven@rocketmail.com. Don’t miss your chance to get these amazing, highly pigmented eye shadows at a discount. 🙂

cat eye profile pic

Finally, I grab my favorite black liner – L’Oreal Lineur Intense in Carbon Black. Out of all the liners I’ve tried, this one wins ten times out of ten because of its felt tip, which makes application a breeze. As you can see in the photo, I pull my eye slightly outwards while drawing on the line to avoid smudging and potential skips in the line. I begin by drawing an extremely thin line at the corner of my eye and gradually thicken it as I move outwards, ending with a carefully drawn flick at the end. Most of the time I’ll gently smudge the flick upwards to soften an otherwise blunt line.

For the finishing touches, I always pat my favorite setting powder – Wet n Wild Eye Shadow Single in Brule – just under the eyes and below the eyeliner to really lighten up my under-eye area and create a crisp line that highlights the flick. Then, I brush on a couple coats of L’Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Waterproof Mascara in Blackest Black. For this look, I also stippled on my favorite highlighter – Arbonne’s Sheer Glow Highlighter – just above the cheekbones. It creates the perfect amount of glow to bring the eye upward and create that perfectly sculpted look. To make it stay all day, I spritzed on some NYX Matte Makeup Setting Spray and headed out the door!

Any tips or tricks of your own on creating a fabulous cat eye?

Need some additional info I don’t mention here?

Drop me a line in the comments section!

RSS
Facebook
Facebook
Google+
PINTEREST
PINTEREST
INSTAGRAM
Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

• Reply Susan Bennett June 29, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Hello Cutie, this is your step-mother. My question is a tough one. I am no “spring chicken” at the age of 57, getting really close to 58. How do you think one my age should wear the “cat-eye” look? In some regards, I think detracting from aged parts of the face is the thing to do and your eyes are striking, but I do not want to look like I am trying to be 29 years of age. With all your knowledge of make up use, do I, or do I not? If so, should my “cat-eye” be subtle, or can I be more bold. We all know Sophia L. wore her “cat-eyes” for years, but she really was not seen in photos aged at all. When ever you get the chance. Love you, Susie

• Amanda Rico
      Reply Amanda Rico June 29, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Hey you! I think you’re smart to question using this cat eye technique for more mature skin since the crepeing that starts to happen around eyelids as they age can create some real problems when it comes to making a sharp line. Everyone knows their skin and preferred look best, so it’s important to keep in mind if you have darkness under the eyes to avoid lining the eyes on the bottom or if you have wrinkling on the lids to avoid trying to draw straight lines across with liner and instead use dashes at the base of the lid. I really like Robin Wright’s (House of Cards actress) makeup looks because she focuses on using very thin lines of gel eyeliner at the base of the lids, stipples black or dark brown shadow over the liner with an angle brush to soften the line, and then uses more mascara at the far ends of her lashes to give a subtle lifted look. Google some of her makeup looks! 🙂

• Reply Andrea June 29, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Awesome tutorial! Cat eye is my go to look every day (subtle) and then more dramatic when a special occasion! I want to fill in my brows but I’ve been using dip brow but it looks like my eyebrow hairs are falling out :((( I might try this pencil and eye shadows routine you have! For my liquid liner I use maybelline line stiletto in black onyx and the felt tip is amazing! I’ll have to try yours next since I’m running out of mine! Xo
    Andrea

• Amanda Rico
      Reply Amanda Rico June 29, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Yay! Thanks, girl! I love how versatile the cat eye is since it allows you to just subtly lift your eye shape or go all-out and create a really dramatic look for a night out. Ugh, I feel ya on the eyebrows. I think I plucked mine too much and now they won’t grow at the ends. I really like the MAC brow pencils – the have awesome staying power, you can create brows where there aren’t any by gently brushing upwards, and the color is super natural looking. Ooo I need to try the Maybelline Line Stiletto and check out your post! I’m always down to try a new liner! Thanks for stopping by 😀

• Reply Elizabeth June 29, 2015 at 2:58 pm

The most fun is when you take it all off and get to smear it all over your face! I’m great at that part.

• Amanda Rico
      Reply Amanda Rico June 29, 2015 at 4:27 pm

LOL yeah, I’ve been there plenty of times. One time I even removed all my makeup after messing up the liner so many times. That was an extra 30 minutes I didn’t have that day! I really like the Neutrogena gentle makeup wipes to remove makeup quickly – especially if you’re only wanting to take off one area like the eyes rather than washing everything off. Thanks for stopping by! 😀