As I approach the big 3-0, I find myself opting for more classic, simple ensembles that highlight unique details about my look rather than making accessories a focal point. But simplicity, in my opinion, should always highlight the aspects of your body and unique style that you like best!
Thankfully, my friend, colleague, and fellow blogger Dhrubaa M. of the amazing Indian food blog, Not a Curry, was on hand again to provide some wardrobe advice and snap some pics of me in this cool, fun look. Afterward, we followed up the shoot with a ridiculously yummy Nutella and Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate with Roasted Marshmallows. You don’t need freezing temps to enjoy this tasty hot chocolate. It’s so sinfully delicious it even has cherries on top! Nom nom, nom…
While I wanted a monochromatic color palette for this look, I also knew that it needed to highlight the things I like best about my style – my pixie cut, tattoo, and love for heels. I also wanted to create a look with visual interest and a slightly edgy feel. Without further ado, here are my tips for putting together a similar outfit!
- Find individual pieces that layer well: This ensemble is actually two pieces, not one. I randomly decided to try layering this cream shirt over my favorite leather flounce skirt and this is what happened! Let me say that layering isn’t always easy – it takes lots of wardrobe changes and revisions! But once you find an awesome combination that works perfectly, it’s worth the time!
- Add some leather: I love, love, love adding leather pieces to outfits that create visual interest and mix up an otherwise plain texture palette. Whether it’s some leather dangle earrings, premium quality heels, a unique lambskin bag, or some leather-look tights, add a little edge to your look for day or night with leather ensemble pieces.
- Show off your ink: I got my tattoo done a year after marrying Ruben – it reads le vingt neuf mai deux mille onze in French, which translates into my wedding date, 29 May 2011 – and have always loved how it works as the perfect accessory. Most of the time I avoid wearing bracelets on my left hand so that I can show it off! The awesome thing about tattoos is that they speak for themselves and demonstrate your unique personality, which takes any ensemble you put together up a notch. So if you still dig your ink, find ways to show it off with backless shirts, sleeveless blouses, or ankle-length jeans depending on where your tattoo is located!
- Highlight asymmetrical angles: Asymmetrical looks make monochromatic and minimalistic outfits look cool. And I mean cool in a chic, edgy, elegant kind of way. When you create more visual interest to your ensemble by adding a dropped hem, dipped back, or angled skirt length to an otherwise simple look, you’re saying that you have style without trying too hard. I love how this asymmetrical cream shirt gently draped over the fuller skirt since it gives the impression that I didn’t fuss over the fit of my clothes that morning.
- Lay off the accessories: This tip is something I’m only just learning to do well, but it’s especially important if you want to convey an easy and casual, yet elegant look. Always keep in mind what kind of look you’re wanting to convey that day. Is it fun and feisty? Then layer on a hoop earring! Is it chic and edgy? Then opt for tailored, simple pieces and one statement necklace, ring or bracelet. This takes practice to do well, I’ll admit, and I’ve made more fashion faux pas then I’d like to admit. Before running out the door, always check yourself in a full-length mirror to make sure no once piece of the outfit competes with another.
To see a more casual rendition of my monochromatic looks, check out my post, Monochromatic May, and click on the links below to purchase the pieces to create this outfit!
How would you rock this type of style?