We’ve all been there.
Scouring the internet, endless department stores, and your existing “makeup graveyard” for hours just trying to find that perfect red lipstick that looks classic, not garish. Well, ladies, I have to say I’ve found it and I’ll show you how to both apply and maintain it throughout those grueling days of teaching, writing, and kiddo time.
Firstly, it’s important to keep a few things in mind when it comes to red lipstick during the day:
- Maintain your lip line – To keep feathering and bleeding at bay throughout the day, simply blot lipstick by pressing lips against a piece of tissue, reapply lip liner, and gently reapply lipstick as needed.
- Make sure your skin can handle a red lip during the day – Avoid red lipstick on bad skin days since it will only draw attention to those unwanted blemishes you’re already trying to hide. It’s much easier to wear a red lip on a night out since dark rooms will camouflage skin issues; make sure you’re confident and ready to be seen by anyone and everyone in a daily setting. Red lipstick projects confidence so its important that your attitude is more laissez-faire than insecure.
- Wear colors that compliment your chosen shade of red lipstick – The red lippie I have here is neutral in tone, so I pair it with equally neutral ensembles. A brighter red would require an even more neutral palette such as black or cream to make a bold lip look chic and effortless. This is equally true of makeup color choices; all blush, eyeshadows, and eyeliner should be neutral browns and creams to avoid looking overdone.
- First, I begin by applying a tinted lip balm that has a tawny undertone; this serves as a nice base for any red lip. I use Blistex Lip Tone lip balm; it has 15 SPF and keeps my lips moisturized all day, even with matte lipsticks.
- Next, I blot my lips with a piece of tissue and use my finger to spread the lip balm over my entire lip line; this ensures that you know exactly where to place your lip liner. I carefully outline my lip line and gently smudge the line afterwards to make sure no visible line is left. For this, I use my trusty Palladio lip liner in Rose; it’s long-wearing and is about two shades darker than my natural lip color, which provides the appearance of a fuller lip.
- Then, I gently apply lipstick to the area within the lip liner. You can always layer the color for a deeper tone if you’d like; however, make sure to blot after each application to avoid build-up and bleeding. My go-to red lipstick for day is L’Oreal Colour Riche in Ginger Spice (shown above). It’s a beautiful shade of tawny/brick red with brown undertones that’s perfect for everyday wear. For night, I choose a deeper, more vampy merlot – Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Raisin Rage.
- Finally, make an “O” with your mouth around your pointer finger and remove the finger to ensure that no lipstick ends up on your teeth and Voila! You’re ready for the day!
Have any tips, comments, or questions on a wearable red lip?
Let me know in the comments section!